Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ick, Toxic Ingredients!

I feel that before I can continue sharing great products with you, I should explain what I mean when I say "non toxic." Last fall, I read a book that opened my eyes. The book was called Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano. It inspired me to do more research. I learned that many common personal care products contain ingredients that are not very healthy for us. As we use the products, the toxins soak in through our skin and build up in our bodies over time. These toxic ingredients have been linked to adverse side effects such as neurotoxicity, hormone disruption, fertility problems, and even cancer!

I don't know about you, but I do not have ANY desire to continue to put these ingredients on my body. So, without further adieu, here is a list of the heavy hitters of toxic ingredients to avoid in your personal products. This isn't a fully comprehensive list of every toxin that you may encounter, but they are some of the most offensive.

1. Parabens
This category covers all ingredients that end with the word "paraben." Nasty stuff.

2. Sodium laurel (or laureth) sulfate
Some of you might avoid sulfates in their shampoo to preserve your hair color, but they could be carcinogenic. Yikes! It is a foaming agent, so you will find it in any soap product that foams (i.e. shampoo, body wash, hand soap).

3. Phthalates
These are tricky because they are not listed by name on ingredient lists. They are synthetic chemicals that are found in Fragrance. If fragrance is listed in the ingredient list, put it back on the shelf! I will be honest, this has been the hardest ingredient for me to avoid. I find I easily miss it on the ingredient lists because "fragrance" doesn't necessarily jump out at me.

4. Petrochemicals
Petroleum based ingredients such as petrolatum, paraffin, mineral oil and butyl alcohol.

5. Talc
It can cause skin irritation. No thank you!

6. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
Also look out for propylene glycol, isopropryl alcohol, and butylene glycol.

7. Tocopherol Acetate
Synthetic vitamin E, better to go with the real thing.

8. Formaldehyde-Producing Preservatives
Formaldehyde can be produced by hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, and diazolidinyl urea

9. Toluene
This is often found in nail products and we shouldn't be breathing it in.

10. Nitrosamines
Doesn't it just sound wrong? Safest to avoid any ingredient that is listed as only capital letters (i.e. TEA, DEA).

So now it's time to get out there and start reading the labels on your beauty and personal care products. Happy greening! Your body will thank you for avoiding all the toxins.

If you would like to read more, I found the following web sites very helpful and informative:
Gorgeously Green
The Environmental Working Group
Keys Soap Company

No comments:

Post a Comment